Last Updated on April 18, 2023
Butane hash oil (BHO) wax is a highly potent cannabis concentrate that has gained immense popularity among cannabis enthusiasts. However, the production process of BHO wax involves using solvents, which can leave behind harmful residues if not purged correctly.
Vacuum purging is essential in producing high-quality BHO wax, as it removes any remaining solvents and impurities, resulting in a clean and potent final product.
Vacuum purging BHO wax can be a relatively straightforward process with the right equipment and technique. In this blog post, we will guide you through the process of vacuum purging BHO wax using kitchen utensils, from preparing your extract for purging to achieving the ideal vacuum level.
What Is Vacuum Purging?
Vacuum purging also called outgassing, is a crucial process in producing cannabis extracts. It aims to eliminate residual solvents, such as butane and propane, that may remain after extraction. This is achieved using a vacuum oven that evaporates the solvents, resulting in pure, flavorful, and aromatic oil.
The process of purging butane and propane from cannabis and hemp extracts can be carried out using various methods.
Some people may choose to create their own systems using a large cooking pot as a vacuum chamber. On the other hand, industrial-scale purging systems are available that can handle multiple batches at once, with efficient heating methods applied to the BHO extracts.
These methods vary in size and complexity, but the end goal is to achieve a high-quality end product free of harsh-tasting solvents.
Why is it Important To Purge?
If you want to create a cannabis extract with no harmful substances, residues, and other stuff that can harm the user, purging is a necessity. Many cannabis manufacturers say that purging is the foremost step in creating a good quality extract that will be safe to use and offer high terpene levels.
Creating top-notch BHO extracts requires paying attention to details and taking the critical step of vacuum purging, also known as outgassing. This process is crucial in eliminating the harsh-tasting butane solvent from crude oil, thus resulting in a pure, high-quality extract.
Without the vacuum purge, the oil may contain impurities and fail to meet state-mandated residual solvent limits. Additionally, vacuum purging also removes oxygen from the chamber’s atmosphere, reducing the oil’s oxidation and extending its freshness and shelf-life. It is important to follow the vacuum purging step to the letter.
What Materials are Needed To Make BHO Shatter?
It is important to start with high-quality flowers or trimmings that are fresh, not dry, to obtain the best results in resin extraction. The method of extraction utilized is the roller method.
- Use a refined Clipper or Colibri butane gas. (Clipper is less impure)
- Cooking paper or a silicone tray or mat
- Dull Blades
- A Glass Tray
- A Heating Plaque
- A Vacuum Pump
- A desiccator or similar containers, such as a pot with a methacrylate lid
- Silicone containers for storing the resulting extract
- Fresh buds or trimmings
Conducting this process in an open-air area, such as a balcony or terrace, is essential for safety purposes.
How Does Vacuum Purging Exactly Work?
The purification process of crude oil extraction is carried out in a vacuum chamber. This step aims to eliminate residual solvents such as butane and propane. The vacuum chamber reduces atmospheric pressure and lowers the solvents’ boiling points. This enables the extraction of the solvents at much lower temperatures without any degradation of therapeutic compounds.
It is important to note that atmospheric pressure plays a crucial role in the boiling point of various compounds. At a normal sea level elevation, the weight of the atmosphere creates approximately 29.92 inches of pressure in inches of mercury (inHg).
This unseen and constant weight affects the boiling point of different compounds. For instance, when atmospheric pressure increases, such as at lower elevations, the liquids require more energy to boil, thus raising their boiling point.
5 Types Of Vacuum Pump To Purge With Ease
There are several types of vacuum pumps that can be used for vacuum purging in BHO extraction:
- Diaphragm Pumps: These pumps use a flexible diaphragm to move the air, making them ideal for handling delicate substances like BHO extract.
- Rotary Vane Pumps: These pumps use a rotating vane to move air and are popular for their efficiency and ease of use.
- Piston Pumps: These pumps use a piston to move air and are well-suited for heavy-duty applications.
- Scroll Pumps: These pumps use a spiral vane to move air and are ideal for applications requiring low noise and high stability.
- Liquid Ring Pumps: These pumps use a rotating impeller and a liquid seal to create a vacuum and are ideal for applications that require high suction power and the handling of liquids.
When choosing a vacuum pump, always consider the application’s specific requirements, including the vacuum chamber’s size, the required vacuum level, and the desired pumping speed.
How to Make High-Quality BHO Shatter | Step by Step
Here is a step-by-step guide on how to make high-quality BHO shatter:
- Obtain high-quality flowers or trimmings to use as starting material.
- Grind the flowers or trimmings into smaller pieces.
- Place the ground material into a stainless steel or glass extraction tube.
- Use butane gas to extract the resin from the plant material into the tube.
- Allow the butane to evaporate for a few minutes to separate the resin from the solvent.
- Place the mixture into a vacuum oven and perform a vacuum purge to remove any residual butane and impurities.
- Pour the purified extract into a silicone or glass container.
- Allow the extract to cool and solidify.
- Store the final product in a cool, dark place to maintain freshness and potency.
- Enjoy your high-quality BHO shatter!
It is important to note that making BHO shatter requires careful attention to safety measures and following local regulations.
How Long Does Vacuum Purging Take?
The time required for vacuum purging varies depending on the extract’s size and the desired purity level. Typically, vacuum purging takes several hours to complete.
Can Vacuum Purging be done at home?
Yes, vacuum purging can be done at home using a vacuum oven and a vacuum pump. However, it is important to follow proper safety procedures and to ensure that all equipment is in good working order.
How many flowers does it take to make 1 gram of shatter?
The amount of flowers required to make 1 gram of shatter depends on various factors, such as the potency and quality of the flowers, the extraction method used, and the desired yield. On average, it is estimated that approximately 5-7 grams of high-quality cannabis flowers are needed to produce 1 gram of shatter.
Of course, if you buy cannabis from a street dealer, you can’t be sure if it has undergone a purging process. If that is the case, the concentrate might still contain some butane, which can be bad for you as a user.
This is why it’s always important to know from who you are buying your cannabis and, if you can, to always pick a reputable professional source such as Cannalyft, one of the biggest online weed dispensaries in Canada.
Although complicated on paper, the purging process can be quite easy to do if you know the step-by-step process. Sure, if you own fancy equipment, it can be done pretty fast, and the product will be extremely pure. But, even if you don’t own equipment such as a vacuum oven, you don’t have to worry. Purging can be done even then without any issues if you follow the steps mentioned in this article. Now, get on with purging!