Last Updated on April 18, 2023
If you’re a cannabis enthusiast, you know that every part of the plant can be used to create unique and potent products. Even the stems, which are often discarded as waste, can be transformed into a high-quality hash that packs a punch.
Making hash from stems is an easy process that can turn your leftover materials into a delicious and potent treat. In this guide, we’ll walk you through the step-by-step process of making hash from stems so that you can get the most out of your cannabis plants.
Different Types of Hash You Can Make Using Stems
Hash-making is a versatile process, and the result can vary depending on the type of stems used and the extraction method. Here are a few different types of hash that can be made from stems:
Ice water hash is made by soaking the stems in a mixture of ice water and salt and then agitating the mixture to separate the trichomes from the stems. This method produces a milder hash with a lower potency.
Dry Ice Hash
Dry ice hash is made using dry ice as the solvent rather than water. The dry ice helps to freeze the trichomes, making them easier to separate from the stems. This method produces a higher-quality hash with a more potent flavor and aroma.
Alcohol hash is made by soaking the stems in alcohol and then straining the mixture to separate the trichomes from the solvent. This method produces a more potent hash with a stronger flavor and aroma.
Rosin hash is made by using heat and pressure to extract the trichomes from the stems. This method produces a potent hash with a full-bodied flavor and aroma and is often considered one of the purest forms of hash.
Materials Needed to Make Hash From Stem
Making hash from stems requires a few simple materials that can be easily obtained. The following materials are necessary to make the high-quality hash:
- Freshly Harvested Cannabis Plant Stems are the main ingredient for making hash.
- A screen or Mesh Filter is used to separate the trichomes from the plant material.
- Solvent (Ice Water, Dry Ice, or Alcohol) to separate the trichomes from the plant material.
- A mixing bowl for mixing the plant material and solvent together.
- A collecting Surface (Glass Surface or Silicone Mat) to collect the trichomes after they have been separated from the plant material.
- A storage container is necessary for storing the finished hash.
Preparation of Stem To Make Hash
Before making hash from stems, it is important to prepare the stems properly. The following steps outline the practice of the stems:
- Remove Leaves and Trim Stems: The first step in preparing the stems is removing leaves and trimming any excess material. This will ensure that the stems are clean and free of unwanted plant material.
- Break Down Stems into Small Pieces: Once the stems have been trimmed, they should be broken down into small pieces. This will increase the surface area of the stems and make it easier to separate the trichomes.
- Clean Stems to Remove Dirt and Debris: The stems should then be thoroughly cleaned to remove any dirt or debris that may be present. This will ensure that the final product is clean and free of contaminants.
Best Solvent For Hash Preparation
Selecting and preparing the solvent is important in making hash from stems. The three primary solvents that can be used to make hash from stems are:
- Ice Water
- Dry Ice
Once the solvent has been selected, it should be prepared according to the chosen method.
5 Simple Steps to Make Hash From Stem
The process of making hash from stems involves several steps, which are outlined below:
Step 1: The first step in making hash from stems is to mix the stems and solvent in a mixing bowl. The ratio of stems to a solvent will depend on personal preference and the desired outcome.
Step 2: The mixture should then be stirred for a specified time, which will allow the trichomes to separate from the plant material and dissolve into the solvent. The time required for stirring will depend on the solvent being used and the desired outcome.
Step 3: The mixture should then be strained through a screen or mesh filter to remove any plant material. The trichomes that have separated from the plant material will remain on the filter.
Step 4: The residue that remains on the filter should then be collected on a collecting surface, such as a glass surface or silicone mat.
Step 5: The final step in making hash from stems is to dry and cure the hash. This process involves allowing the hash to dry completely and then storing it in a cool, dry place to allow the flavors and aromas to develop.
How To Make Hash From Stems With Blender?
Fill up the blender with water. Add the desired amount of stems, seeds, or whatever you got. Put 4 to 5 ice cubes in the blender and mix it for about 4 minutes. You can stop blending when everything is finely chopped and mixed.
If you don’t have a reusable coffee filter, you can use a 90-line silkscreen.
- Find a large container, preferably a largemouth quart mason jar.
- Strain your mixture through your container.
- When all the liquid is strained, run some fresh water through the material to avoid excess trichome.
- After a couple of minutes, you will see a white substance and the bottom of your container.
- Let the trichome rest at the bottom for about half an hour.
- After that, you should pour out ⅔ of the filtered greenish water, leaving the substance and the bottom. Add more ice.
- Remove the left-out green, and leave the trichome at the bottom for 20 minutes. Repeat this whole process one more time.
If water is still present, pour it out as much as you can. Take a coffee filter and pour trichome mix through it. All the water that was present should be gone leaving the trichome on the filter. Compress it and use it as you wish.
How to Make Hash From Stems With Alcohol?
To make hash from the stem with alcohol, go through the following steps:
- Prepare your stems and seeds. Place them in a covered container.
- Fill that container with alcohol just enough so it covers everything.
- You can purchase isopropyl alcohol in almost any pharmacy or supermarket. Preferably, it should be 99% pure. If you can’t find it, denatured alcohol can also work.
- Find a place far away from any fire because alcohol can easily catch on fire and cause a lot of damage.
- Carefully boil this mixture on an electric stove or any other stove with no actual flame that can go into alcohol.
- After 45 minutes of heating your mixture, you can strain the solid mix. Save the alcohol.
- Repeat this process but with new fresh alcohol.
After another 45 minutes of heating, remove the solid mixture, and combine alcohol from previous heating with recent alcohol. Boil them in a container until you get a mixture that is similar to syrup. This mixture will contain all the THC that was inside the stems before you boiled it. Now you can use this THC for making cookies or for whatever you want.
How to Make Cannabis Butter From Stems?
- Find the container or a pot that you will use for this process.
- Fill it with water and heat it on an electric stove until the water is boiling.
- Cut a small piece of dairy butter or whatever butter you got. Butter will melt because of the heat and combine with water.
- Combine this mixture with stems. It will slowly mix with the water and butter mixture making some sort of liquid.
- THC dissolves into the butter because of the heat. You should regularly stir the mixture and, if needed, add more water or butter.
- It would be best if you cooked this mixture for about half an hour.
- When you are over, remove all the liquid from the stems and the pot.
- Although stems should be dry when you are over, please do not leave any leftover liquid in stems because they can all be used for cannabis butter.
- Put this liquid in the fridge or freezer for faster results, but don’t let it get frozen. After a few hours, this mixture is solid on the surface. Take a bigger spoon, scoop it out, and place it in a jar or any other container you want. Butter should be kept in the fridge if not used.
This cannabis butter can be used when making cookies, brownies, cakes, and different products.
Can you make hash with fresh trim?
Full melt bubble hash can be produced by trimming leaves. In preparation for smoking, growers can harvest flowers and trim them, then produce a hash from the remaining trimmed leaves.
What makes hash so strong?
Cannabis sativa is the source of hash and marijuana. Delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol is one of the more than 400 chemical compounds in cannabis, and it plays a significant role in recreational use. The level of THC-9 in a cannabis product is what determines its potency and its effects on the user.
Can you make bubble hash with dry buds?
You can use bud, trim, leaf, shake, or cannabis to make bubble hash. Cannabis can be used in various ways, including fresh-frozen and dried forms.
The Bottom Line
The most important reason we decided to write it for you was to show you how to make hash in different ways using weeds, stems, and whatever you like that is simple, inexpensive, and safe. Please share any additional advice with us in the comments section!
Similar to flowers, smoking stem hash has very little flavor and less THC than flowers. Smoking hash can be harmful if your stems aren’t prepared properly. If necessary, decarboxylate the weed stems and utilize fresh ones whenever possible. Making hash helps you make the most of your plants and reduce the amount of waste you produce.